Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Pineapple Express

Baked Pineapple & Potato Chip
Munchie Balls
I had to do a holiday post for today. Though I don't celebrate in any way aside from the munchies part, I'm feeling very festive today for those who do. There are so many stoner movies to choose from, but this one really inspired me. Actually it did half the work for me because there's food already in the title. What's great about this flick for starters, well... Franco, Franco and more Franco is always welcome in my living room. This guy just makes himself more awesome by the minute and to top it off, he's on General Hospital now, c'mon. Also, I love that it's an action movie and a stoner movie coming together in perfect harmony. Love it and i'm about 20 minutes away from watching it myself with my baked pineapple.

Munchie Balls
1 and 1/2 cups corn meal
1/2 cup flour
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp salt
1/2 cup chopped onion
about 2 chopped jalapenos (seeded)
1 cup soy milk + 1 tsp apple cider vinegar
about 3 handfuls of vegan bbq potato chips

Mix dry ingredients, including onion and jalapeno. Add vegan milk mixture and stir into a batter. Stir in the chips, crunching them with the spoon a bit. Take some more chips and crunch them into crumbs in different bowl. Take some batter and form into about a 1 inch ball. Coat the ball with chip crumbs and place in frying pan, with about 1/4 cup oil on medium heat. Roll the balls around in the pan occasionally so there is a nice even brown coat. (about 10 minutes).

Extra Fancy Sauce (for dipping)
1/4 cup veganaise
1/4 cup ketchup
juice of half a lemon
2 TB melted vegan butter
Mix them all together and let chill in the refrigerator for about 15-20


Folding the chips into the batter...

Coating the munchie ball mix with potato chip crumbs...




Baked Pineapple...

1 20oz can of crushed pineapple in juice
1 TB cornstarch
1 TB water
1/4 cup + 2 TB soy milk + 1tsp apple cider vinegar (sit for 5 min)
4 slices of white unbleached bread (cubed)
3 TB flour
2 TB vegan butter (melted)
1/2 cup sugar
1/4 tsp cinnamon
1/8 tsp nutmeg

mix flour, cinnamon, nutmeg and sugar. In a separate bowl, mix cornstarch and water and add to milk/vinegar, then add butter. Add wet to dry and stir. Stir in cubed bread (I used one and a half Trader Joe's white buns). Sprinkle a little cinnamon on top, then bake at 350 for about 1 hour.








2 comments:

  1. you're killing me!!! munchie balls and baked pineapple... i freakin love your recipes. im so glad you started this blog. and im your #1 fan... so wheres my t-shirt? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome, Amber :) I'll be sending you a t-shirt fo sho. You deserve a prize for being my first follower and #1 fan :)

    ReplyDelete