Friday, April 29, 2011

Annie - The Sunflower Seeds Will Come out Tomorrow Pate and Little Ginger Cutie Pies

The first time I watched this movie, it was during the first theatrical release and I was 3 years old. I don't remember this, but apparently this movie had a huge impact on my little 3 year old self. As I'm told, when I exhausted my parents from taking me to go see it, I started hitting up extended family members to take me. Who knows how many trips I made to the movie theater, but that plus vhs viewings growing up and now dvd viewings as an adult, I think it's safe to say this is my most repeatedly viewed movie. Even more so than my favorite movie (to be revealed in a future post). What is it about Annie that turns her into an obsession for little girls?

A good documentary to watch before or after this is 'Life After Tomorrow.' It includes interviews with the girls who played orphans and the girls who played Annie in the Broadway production. The filmmaker herself was one of the orphans. Make it a double feature.

Although there are several movie versions of Annie, to me there is only one! Annie 1982...

The Sunflower Seeds Will Come Out Tomorrow Pate
1 and 1/2 cups raw sunflower seeds (soaked for at least 2 hrs)
juice of one lemon
1/4-1/2 cup water
2 TB finely diced red onion
3 TB nutritional yeast
1-2 TB (eye-balled in your hand) of each - fresh diced chives, roughly chopped tarragon and flat leaf parsley
1 garlic clove
1 tsp salt to taste

In a food processor, chop up the onion and garlic and set aside. Put in the sunflower seeds, lemon juice, water, N-Y, and salt. Blend until creamy smooth. Add the water a little at a time. Stir in the herbs, onions and garlic. Chill in the fridge for about an hour.

"No one cares for you a smidge, when you're in an orphanage... "

"Hey hobo man, hey dapper Dan... you both got your style but brother you're never fully dressed without a smile"
"Someday I'll step on their freckles, someday I'll straighten their curls."
"Red lights holler, deep depression, what do we care? Movies are there! Only happy endings, that's our recipe. Welcome to a lovely M-O-V-I-E!"

Little Ginger Cutie Pies

Fairly basic fruit-filled pie, but the ginger and pears make it special. I made the pies little to go along with my concept, but really one big pie works out the best. I used bartlett pears and a good amount of ground ginger for the filling. Along with sugar/brown sugar, lemon juice and vegan butter.

The sun will come out tomorrow pie

"You're the most presuming... dog that a human could know"


This is fun, the little girl who played Annie, Aileen Quinn, in present day...

2 comments:

  1. I also first saw this movie as a young girl. It made me want to live at an orphanage... you know a place where you could sing and dance and have fun... =P

    the recipes look great. i will add them to my to-do list. :)

    hehe... Indian Jones glass.

    ReplyDelete