Monday, May 16, 2011

One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest - Bananas Splittin' the Nut House



Despite an issue I have with this movie(which i'll spare you), it is still one of my favorite movies of all time. This movie is inspirational in the sense that we are not defined by authority, we don't have to accept it, and we must always question it. Our protagonist, McMurphy is the liberator of the men at the institution. Through his efforts, he shows them another side, the way their lives could be. Which is a life very similar to McMurphy's, but at the very least he's opening up avenues in their thinking. He's showing them they don't have to accept the labels placed upon them. Of course when we question authority, there are those willing to do anything to protect the status quo.

From 1975 One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest...


"Which one of you nuts has got any guts"
"Good morning, Nurse Ratched... "
"But I tried, didn't I? Goddamnit, at least I did that."

Bananas Splittin' the Nut House

Although I make awesome stick to your butt vegan ice cream, which I'm sure i'll post at some point, this is a great lower fat and calorie alternative. it's kind of like a soft serve frozen yogurt. It is ultra creamy and smooth and there's only one ingredient- bananas!

About 6 bananas. Set one aside, peel and slice the others into about 4 or 5 pieces, place them in a tupperware container and freeze them completely. When frozen, just put them in the food processor, keep it going until it is ultra smooth and creamy in there. Scoop it out and serve it up with your split banana and some chopped walnuts on top. Maple syrup and a little cocoa powder make a great chocolate sauce, if you desire. Also I made some whipped cream by whipping coconut flesh and brown rice syrup. A dash of cinnamon or nutmeg would also be great on top.
"You're not an idiot. Huh! You're not a goddamed looney now boy, you're a fisherman." (I'd just like to add that fishing hurts! Ow. :( Poor fishies)

4 comments:

  1. Looking for a looney suggestion for a dish or snack for a Saturday night drive-in outing of "lolita"

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh cool :) Hmmm... let's see. Lolita Margheritas for some pre-show cocktails (starwberry) ? Heart-shaped Blondie Bars? Brazen Raisins (make your own raisinetts). Saucy and Cheeky Chz Cake Pops (cashew and coconut oil based, roll up the base into a pingpong ball, put it on a popsicle stick, grind up some pecans, roll the ball in the pecan meal, make a strawberry sauce to dip the in). Dirty Girl Scout Cookies (maybe I'm pushing it) http://www.chefchloe.com/blog/2-blog/45-thin-mints-girl-scout-cookies.html

    Let me know if you would like recipes for any of these. :) and let me know if you come up with anything. Sounds like an awesome night.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh Yummy! It looks like I'm making banana ice cream for dessert tonight. Lucky for me I already have some frozen peeled bananas in the freezer :0)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great! I love this so much, it's hard to believe it's just bananas!

    ReplyDelete