Sunday, June 19, 2011

What About Bob Ka-Bobs?

We watched this last night with our Ka-Bobs and I hadn't seen this movie, probably since the 90's. I remembered it as a silly comedy, which it is, but I didn't remember how hysterical it is! I enjoyed myself so much last night with this movie, and Bill Murray always cracks me up. It's a perfect summer movie, nostalgia movie, and family movie.

Bill Murray plays Bob, a neurotic guy who's anxieties get the best of him sometimes. He found a doctor who can help him, but refuses to because he's on vacation. Bob tracks him down and becomes a persistent annoyance to Dr. Marvin, but an absolute delight to his family and anyone else he comes in contact with. The irony is, Bob improves while Dr. Leo self-destructs. Bob credits his growth to the genius of Dr. Leo Marvin, while Dr. Marvin credits his degradation to Bob. When really we watch these men step by step create their own fates. Very existential for a sweet little 90's comedy.

From 1991, What About Bob?

"Is this some radical new therapy?"
"I'm sailing... I'm sailing!!!"
"Hi, i'm Bob. Would you knock me out please? Just hit me in the face."
"What if I'm looking for a bathroom, I can't find one, and my bladder explodes?"

What about Bob Ka-Bobs?


It's a summer movie, and kabobs are very summer AND it's Father's Day! A big grilling day, perfect for dad to throw on the grill.

Here's what I used on my Ka-Bobs

Tofu
Tempeh
Jalapeno pepper
Onion
Mushrooms
Tomato
Pineapple

Here's the marinade

1/2 cup soy sauce
1/4 cup pineapple juice
3 TB maple syrup
juice of one lime
2 TB grated ginger
2 cloves of garlic

Put your skewer items in the marinade for a couple of hours in the fridge, put them on your skewers, then grill. I don't have a grill, so I just cooked them in a pan and put them on the skewers after I cooked them.

I served them over coconut arborio rice.

1 cup arborio rice
1 cup water
1 can coconut milk
1/2 tsp salt

Add water, salt and half of the coconut milk to a pot and bring to a boil, add rice and simmer until absorbed. then add the rest of the coconut milk simmer for about a minute or 2.

I topped the Ka-Bobs with a simple teriyaki glaze.

about 1/2 cup soy sauce
about 1/4 cup brown sugar
about 2 TB maple syrup

stir the ingredients and heat on medium in a sauce pan until reduced to a glaze. Drizzle over top of the Ka-Bobs.

This recipe serves about 2 hungry people.




7 comments:

  1. Don't hassle me I'm local! Great combo! These kabobs are not to be missed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. they look great! do you press your tofu?

    and i love LOVE love this movie. i can watch it over and over. "I SAIL!, I'm a SAILOR!" =D

    ReplyDelete
  3. I press my tofu half-assed. I do what I have patience for :) I really want a tofu press like this one http://www.tofuxpress.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think this is my favorite vegan cinegrub selection so far...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks Ryan, it's definitely one of my favorites :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. love this movie (:

    ReplyDelete
  7. 3 Researches SHOW Why Coconut Oil Kills Fat.

    This means that you actually get rid of fat by consuming coconut fats (including coconut milk, coconut cream and coconut oil).

    These 3 studies from big medical journals are sure to turn the conventional nutrition world upside down!

    ReplyDelete