Saturday, July 16, 2011

The Breakfast Club

"Dear Mr. Vernon, we accept the fact that we had to sacrifice a whole Saturday in detention for whatever it is we did wrong. What we did *was* wrong. But we think you're crazy to make us write an essay telling you who we think we are. You see us how you want to see us... In the most simplest terms, in the most convenient definitions. But what we found out is that each one of us is a brain... and an athlete... and a basket case... a princess... and a criminal. Does that answer your question? Sincerely yours the Breakfast Club."
Okay, so I kinda phoned it in with this one. I didn't have to make a new menu creation... what better pairing for this movie than breakfast food? I happen to have a whole bunch of photos of the breakfasts that I make, because I think they would take away my vegan card if I didn't take a picture of every single meal that I ate!

I don't think anyone portrays 80's teen angst better than John Hughes, or at least his movies are the most entertaining and the one's I feel most nostalgic for. As teens we felt the prejudice of our authority figures. They put us in boxes, didn't give us much credit and as Brian so precisely put it, they see us how they want to see us. Usually they see us as some sort of amorphous character that fits into one of a few select categories. I'm actually grateful for this, it taught me at a nice ripe age to always question authority. Authority all too often has a hidden agenda, it's our job to find out what it is. I feel The Breakfast Club is such a perfect movie regarding this because it expresses these themes and it's highly entertaining at the same time. So grab a stack of pancakes and hang out with some brat-packers for an evening of nostalgic 80's angst! From 1985, The Breakfast Club...

The Brain...
" ...That's seven including the time when we first came in and you asked Mr. Vernon weather Barry Manilow knew that he raided his closet."
The Athlete...
"I'm not a winner because I want to be one. I'm a winner because I've got strength and speed... kinda like a racehorse. It's about how involved I am in what's happening to me."
The Basket Case...
"I never did it either. I'm not a nymphomaniac, I'm a compulsive liar."
The Princess...
"Were you truly disgusted with what I did with my lipstick?"
The Criminal...
"That's very clever sir. But what if there's a fire? I think violating fire codes and endangering the lives of children would be unwise at this juncture in your career."

Mochi Pancakes

These are nice and gooey in the middle, I just used a standard pancake recipe, but substituted some Mochiko (sweet rice flour) for some white flour.

French Toast w/ a side of Roasted Fennel and Fava Beans

I used Chloe Coscarelli's recipe for french toast, (only I left out the blueberry). For the side I roasted some fennel, then tossed it with some lemon and dill.
Black Bean Peace-Links

Biscuits and Gravy

I used the biscuit recipe from Vegan with a Vengeance then topped it with my very special cashew gravy.

Asian Tofu Scramble

I loved this scramble! carrots, cilantro, bok choy, shitake mushrooms, soy sauce, ginger, garlic. And I cut 2 sheets of nori seaweed up and tossed it in at the end. (cilantro goes in at the end too!)


Breakfast Potatoes

You can find the recipe for this on my old blog, Pj's Peace Kitchen.
Laka ukalele... I made some banana pancakes. Recipe from Vegan with a Vengeance.

Sun-Dried Tomato and Avocado Tofu Scramble

Recipe on my old blog, Pj's Peace Kitchen.



5 comments:

  1. now those are some serious breakfast foods! and people think vegans do without. ;) everything looks amazing. do you mind sharing your cashew gravy recipe? pretty please? =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, yeah, well I don't really have a recipe written out for it, but I'll give you the jist. Start with cashew chz http://vegancinegrub.blogspot.com/2011/04/moonstruck-big-pizza-pie-topped-w-sugar.html
    Saute about 1-2 yellow or brown onions (with some salt) and throw them in the food processor with the cashew chz. I like to also saute some white mushrooms and throw them in there. Then I zip it in the food processor and thin it out with soy milk and vegetable broth until it is the right consistency. I make it a sausage gravy by pan frying Gimme Lean vegan sausage and then stirring it in at the end :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great food and great movie couldn't ask for more.

    Two of my favorite quotes from the movie:

    "Screws fall out all the time, the world is an imperfect place."

    "Does Barry Manilow know that you raid his wardrobe? "

    ReplyDelete