Monday, July 25, 2011

Harold and Maude

BABY ARTICHOKE AND AGED CASHEW CHZ QUICHE


Harold is a young man fascinated with death and finds satisfaction in staging elaborate suicides for his mother to walk in on. Maude is a 79 year old, quintessential eccentric with a passion for healthy living, but is balanced with her healthy attitude toward death. Due to a common interest in attending funerals in their leisure time, the two cross paths, but had not met until one day after a funeral when Maude steals Harold's hearse and offers him a ride in it.

Harold falls for Maude, perhaps because she doesn't find his morbidity appalling or an illness that needs to be cured. It's the most charming love story I think I've ever seen, but I feel it is more of a coming of age story, done not in the standard trite way. I would describe this movie as dark and refreshing. It defines the black comedy genre. From 1971, Harold and Maude...


"You know, at one time, I used to break into pet shops to liberate the canaries. But I decided that was an idea way before it's time. Zoos are full, prisons are overflowing... Oh my, how the world still *dearly* loves a cage."

"I haven't lived. I've died a few times."

Maude: The Earth is my body; my head is in the stars... who said that, Harold?
Harold: I don't know.
Maude: Well, I suppose I did then.


* BABY ARTICHOKE AND AGED CASHEW CHZ QUICHE *

I didn't really use baby artichokes, I used a can :/ but I needed the name for my concept, so let's pretend they are baby chokes.

1 cup cashew loja (recipe will follow)
12-14 oz. firm or xtra firm tofu, drained
1 can of artichoke hearts, drained
2-3 TB (eye ball it) of fresh chopped basil
1/2 tsp onion powder
2 cloves of garlic
1 tsp salt
3 TB nutritional yeast
1/4 cup pine nuts
vegan butter to dolop the pie before baking


Cashew Loja

1 lb raw cashews soaked for at least a couple of hours
1/4 cup nutritional yeast
juice of one lemon
2-3 cloves of garlic
1-2 tsp salt to taste

In the food processor- zip up cashew loja ingredients, add a little bit of water at a time until it is able to swirl around smoothly. (little water as possible).

You won't use the entire batch of loja, but I always make a 1 lb of cashew batch because it's never a bad thing to have extra hanging out in your fridge to snack on for the rest of the week. I like to "age" my loja by setting it in the window sill for about an hour and fridging it overnight. This process isn't necessary if you want to go ahead and make it right away.

Put your one cup of loja in the freezer for about 10 minutes. Meanwhile, drain and crumble your tofu and mix it with 3 TB of nutritional yeast, 1 tsp salt and a squeeze of lemon. Chop your basil and stir it in along with onion powder and chopped garlic. Quarter your artichoke hearts and stir them in. Take the loja out of the fridge and rip off little pieces with your fingers and fold them into the mixture. Place mixture in a greased pie pan. (I used a small cake pan, either is fine. I'm really regretting not making a potato crust for this, I went crust-less because I was running out of daylight. It was good without, but I recommend with.

Dolop the top of the pie with little pieces of vegan butter, bake on 350 for about 30 minutes. While this is baking, make your pine nut loja to top the quiche. This will be similar to a parmesan, but better. Lightly oil a pan and lightly toast the pine nuts with 1 tsp of nutritional yeast and a small pinch of salt. Grind the pine nut mixture in a mini food processor or coffee grinder. (blender might work?) When the quiche is done, top it with your pine nut loja.

I topped one of the slices with toffuti sour cream. It didn't need it. It's very rich.

For dessert, I made candied flowers. Have you ever seen that package of edible flowers at the store and wonder what to do with them? Well, this was my first time working with them and I didn't really know what to do, I didn't want to cook them in any way because that would ruin their beauty. So I just made a sugar solution, dipped them and let them dry.

boil about a cup of water and stir in about a cup of sugar, let it cool completely, then dip your flowers in and let them dry. This is ideal to go on cupcakes!

That's Hazey Jane helping mamma :)



2 comments:

  1. i think ive only seen bits and pieces of this movie before, when i was younger. im going to have to revisit it again very soon.

    the quiche looks very good. as do the flowers. but ive never seen these edible flowers you speak of. what kind of store did you find them at? very interesting. and your right, they would be beautiful on top of cupcakes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. They have them at Whole Foods in the section where their packaged herbs are. They were actually pretty good. They had a very fresh, slight minty taste :)

    ReplyDelete