Monday, September 5, 2011

Whip It

Smashed Black and Blue Potatoes smothered w/ BBQ Black Eyed Peas
And for dessert- Hurl Scout Cookies


Whip it is a story of Bliss, a teen-aged girl with an oppressive mother living in a small town in Texas. Bliss' mother encourages her to enter beauty pageants which is the antithesis of Bliss' character, but she placates her mother and goes through the motions entering pageant after pageant. Bliss finds her passion when she sneaks out to go to a roller derby game one night and discovers that try outs for "The Hurl Scouts" are coming up. When she makes it on the team, she has to figure out how to pursue her passion while keeping her secret life as "Babe Ruthless" hidden from her parents.

It's an against all odds sports movie and I love it because the roller derby sport puts a unique, fun spin on it. Another thing that I absolutely love is that it's a coming of age story with a female protagonist, which is very rare, at least in Hollywood movies. And it will make you want to strap on a pair of skates and pads, get a roller derby name and go smash some girls in the ring.


Smashed Black and Blue Potatoes smothered in BBQ Black-Eyed Peas

-about 10 purple potatoes
-one yellow onion (sliced in half moons)
-one pound dry black-eyed peas, soaked for about 4-6 hours

BBQ sauce
- one 15 oz. can of plain tomato sauce
-1/4 cup soy sauce
-1/4 cup red wine vinegar
-1/4 cup water
-1TB molasses
-one chili in adobo sauce
-juice of half a lemon or whole lime
-one TB cumin (crushed black cumin if you have it)
1/4 cup pure maple syrup
1 TB liquid smoke
2 TB olive oil

Add all bbq sauce ingredients to a blender and blend until smooth. Set aside.

Boil the potatoes until soft, let cool, then smash each one by pressing down with your palm. In the mean time boil the black-eyed peas for about 20 minutes (until soft). Saute the onion with a TB of olive oil and in a separate pan add a little olive oil and lay down the smashed potatoes in the pan on medium heat. Let brown slightly then flip and slightly brown the other side. Plate the potatoes side by side, smother them with the sauteed onions, add the bbq sauce to the black-eyed peas (warm if needed) and smother then on top.



Hurl Scout Cookies!
Vegan Samoas!
Gluten free!

A vegan version of my favorite girl scout cookie! It has been so long since I have been able to taste the boxed cookie version of this because they are not vegan, and I have to say, screw those boxed cookies, these are even better! For the recipe, I borrowed a couple of the bones from Vegan Cookies Invade Your Cookie Jar. I don't have this book yet, I just saw a recipe from it on the internet. The VCIYCJ recipe looks perfectly great the way it is, but I wanted to make my own version of it. I made them gluten free too!

1 cup coconut flour
1 cup unsweetened shredded coconut
1/4 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt

1/3 cup canola oil (or coconut oil)
1/2 cup brown rice syrup
1/4 cup pure grade b maple syrup (grade a is fine too)
3/4 cup brown sugar
2 tsp vanilla
1/3 cup vegan milk (Almond, soy, etc. I used vanilla coconut milk)

one bag (12oz) of semi-sweet vegan chocolate chips

*FOR CARAMEL*
1/2 cup vegan butter
1/2 cup brown rice syrup
3/4 cup light brown sugar
3 TB wildwood vegan creamer


Mix the first grouping of ingredients (dry)
in a separate bowl mix the second grouping (wet) then add together. (Chocolate chips not included). Form into 1 inch balls and smoosh with the palm of your hands. Bake on 350 for about 8-10 minutes.

Meanwhile melt the chocolate chips on the stove and set aside.


Make the caramel by mixing the vegan butter, brown rice syrup, soy milk and brown sugar. Heat in a pan over the stove and bring to a boil, then remove heat after about 3 minutes of boil. Mix in about 1/2 cup of shredded coconut, if you have any left over.

When cookies are cooled, dip the bottom in the chocolate and let cool up side down in the fridge, when chocolate is hardened, coat the top with caramel and let cool in the fridge. (you may have to reheat the caramel a few times during the whole process). After caramel is cooled, make the chocolate stripies on top, set aside in a cool, but not cold place until the top chocolate is hardened. You're done!

"We're number 2! We're number 2!"

The characters in this movie have really cool roller derby names, like Smashly Simpson, Eva Destruction, Maggie Mahem, Bloody Holly and Iron Maven. What would your roller derby name be??? Share it with us! Or if you are already an awesome roller derby chic, tell us what your name is...


11 comments:

  1. Unbelievable! Let's have this dish and dessert every night, seriously.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks delicious!
    The movie looks like a winner too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think your Dad would enjoy some of those cookies!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Samoas were my favorite GS cookie! I'll definitely have to make these. Love that you did a gluten free version of them.

    The movie sounds like a good one. It would be fun to be in a roller derby. I'd be Maniac Molly or maybe Molly Hatchet. heh :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love it, Molly Hatchet! Yeah, I'm so glad the coconut flour worked out for them. I really want to start using it in more things :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love this post! Whip It is an awesome movie! Plus, I went to the local roller derby and it was a lot of fun. And fantastic recipes; I am totally making them both!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Awesome, Shanna. I would love to go see a roller derby game, it would be so much fun. I want to play too!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Awesome post as usual. I really like this movie as does Loukas. Those cookies look amazing!!! Holy Moly at the carmel!!! And the black eye peas and smashed potatoes are warming my southern heart. <3 We must make these cookies when you come to town. :)

    I wish I could think over a roller derby name... I'll have to get back to you on that one, but my friend Sara does roller derby and her name is "Vegta-Bully"

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yeah, we can definitely make these when I'm in town. They are really good, I have to say. These were my favorite and it took me right back. I can't think of a good name either. I had a really good one right after I watched the movie, but I lost it.

    ReplyDelete
  10. 3 Studies SHOW How Coconut Oil Kills Fat.

    This means that you actually burn fat by consuming coconut fat (including coconut milk, coconut cream and coconut oil).

    These 3 studies from big medical magazines are sure to turn the conventional nutrition world upside down!

    ReplyDelete