Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Attack of the Killer Tomatoes!


In the mood for an absurd horror comedy? I'll just tell you that I really enjoy it and if a comic relief is needed from scary movie marathons, this might not be a bad one to watch. It's a 1978 spoof on B-horror movies, in the film, carnivorous tomatoes attack the human race. Fun right?

So here's what I came up with as a pairing for this fine feature...

Killer T.L.T's!


12-15 roma tomatoes
1 head of iceberg lettuce
1 cup veganaise
1 package of tempeh
1 cup panko breadcrumbs (vegan of course)

Tempeh Marinade

1/4 cup soy sauce
2 TB olive oil
2 TB pure maple syrup
1 TB lemon juice
2 tsp. liquid smoke
pinch of cayenne

slice the tempeh going across, into 1/8-1/4 inch slices. Marinate for about an hour (shortcut is to put all of the marinade in the skillet and let the tempeh soak it up as they fry) fry the tempeh in the skillet and add some marinade juice to it. The pan will get yucky and sticky, to de-glaze, throw a splash of wine in the skillet when you go to fry the other side. When done, cut the tempeh into smaller pieces

Shred the iceberg lettuce and place in a mixing bowl. Add the Veganaise and toss. Add the panko bread crumbs and tempeh pieces and toss.

With a paring knife, cut teeth into your tomato on the top and bottom, and then fully gut your tomato. Then stuff with your salad mixture. You can add cute eyes by breaking off the end of a toothpick, stick a raisin on there, and stick into the tomato. Just remember to take the toothpicks out before eating!




Attack in the produce section!


You can't run from them! They'll get you like 21st century zombies!





11 comments:

  1. Ah, that is too cute! And I just bought a bag of way-too-many-tomatoes this morning...

    ReplyDelete
  2. That film is hilarious and I LOVE your edible killer toms - they are really cute. Though I suspect they'd be horrified to hear that.
    :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your tomatoes are so fun, and terrifying too, of course!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Louise and Jeni. Yeah, I was just saying how they looked more cute than killer :) Maybe I shouldn't say that, they might want to prove me wrong :/

    ReplyDelete
  5. hilarious - and looks like it tastes great too - you can run but you can't hide!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I know I am supposed to be scared - but those are so cute!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've got to see this movie. It's one I've always meant to watch but never got around to. Love what you did with the TLT's!! lol

    ReplyDelete
  8. this looks super good! I'm going to make them but "cheat" by using already "baconized" Lightlife tempeh! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  9. I should send all you guys in Orlando a care package of Trader Joe's stuff. Tempeh is only $1.69 a pack.

    Thanks everyone. Molly, netflix just took it off of streaming :( It's on You Tube though, broken up into parts. I know that's an annoying way to watch it though.

    ReplyDelete
  10. haha! I love them. They are cute!... I mean scary. ;) Damn it Netflix! I really have to watch this ASAP for the grocery store scene alone.

    ReplyDelete