Thursday, October 6, 2011

E.T. - Reese's Pieces


I can only handle watching this movie once in a blue moon because my heart can't take it! E.T. and Elliot pull at my heart strings so hard, they are gonna rip it right out of my chest. But the Halloween season is the perfect time to revisit this endearing film.

Shameless product placement is usually really annoying in a film, but in this one, not only do I not mind it, I really like it! I think because it ties in so well with the movie. Did you know they originally wanted to use m&m's? The company turned them down because they thought E.T. looked like "A cross between a stray dog with mange and syphilitic genitals" and they didn't want him to be the face of their product. Well boo to them! They don't deserve E.T., but neither do reese's pieces because they are not cruelty-free. But nostalgia gets a hold of us and we want some too! So here is my veganized version of the candy I loved so much in the 80's.

My vision for these were some kind of earthy vintage looking homemade version of the orange, yellow and brown pieces. But my natural food coloring didn't work well with my candy coating. I don't think artificial dyes would have worked either. But, on taste, I think I did pretty awesome. All of the flavors and textures are there. Crunchy, chocolatey and peanut buttery.


*Peanut Butter Filling
1 cup peanut butter
1/2 cup pure cane sugar
stir well until fully blended

*Chocolate Coating
1 cup vegan chocolate chips - melted

*Hard Candy Shell
1/4 cup brown rice syrup
1 cup sugar
1/2 cup water - boil until it reaches 300 degrees.

Roll the peanut butter filling into little balls. Coat with the melted chocolate (I use Trader Joe's. Ghirardelli also has vegan choc chips, but always check the ingredients every time!) Set the coated balls in the freezer (about 15 minutes). I just took a spoon and drizzled the candy coating on. But I 'm kinda wishing I would have stuck them with a toothpick and let the candy drip over it as I swirled. I think that may have given it an even coat. But there is definitely enough crunch in the way I did it.


"I'll believe in you all my life, everyday. E.T.... I love you."


"You could be happy here, I could take care of you. I wouldn't let anybody hurt you. We could grow up together, E.T."



"I'll... be... right... here... "



"Ouuuch!"


8 comments:

  1. I love this idea! I totally agree that somehow the product placement in E.T. (at least as my memory serves) seems to legitimately serve the story. If M&M's had chosen to be in the film, it would have been more glaring, I think, because they were a lot more popular at the time.

    Reese's Pieces were one of my favorite candies in my pre-vegan days. I have to try your recipe! With chocolate and peanut butter, you really can't go wrong.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! Yeah chocolate, peanut butter. Can't go wrong.

    ReplyDelete
  3. When I was little I was scared of the part where the humans caught E.T. and he got really sick and pale. And it still gets me to this day, but I'm glad they did that, it helped me develop compassion at a young age. I like how movies and books of our childhood had the right messages, like Charlotte's Web, Bambie, E.T. etc. Now days they have video games that are based on shooting and killing innocent animals... :(

    Loukas is going to love you for this post. He starts to crave Reese's Pieces this time very year. I'll be trying this recipe out soon.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good point, Amber. And if only adults would practice those things we learned as children and what they teach their children. It reminds me of that book "Everything we need to know, we learned in Kindergarten."

    ReplyDelete
  5. Be careful, brown rice syrup has been found to have high levels of arsenic.
    https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=2&sqi=2&ved=0CDUQFjAB&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.foodsafetynews.com%2F2012%2F02%2Fbrown-rice-syrup-puts-arsenic-in-those-organics%2F&ei=8OiVT-HFIcj40gHNz4jnBw&usg=AFQjCNGmCQbflJwidZ4N4C-QDCdD3m6sYA
    https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=3&sqi=2&ved=0CDsQFjAC&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.npr.org%2Fblogs%2Fthesalt%2F2012%2F02%2F23%2F147294466%2Fin-rice-how-much-arsenic-is-too-much&ei=8OiVT-HFIcj40gHNz4jnBw&usg=AFQjCNF5o5qNBTVdhxYu9TV9z6_0W1FlNw

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pj - Vegan CinegrubApril 23, 2012 at 5:59 PM

      Yeah, I recently heard that. Maybe organic corn syrup instead?
      http://www.iherb.com/Wholesome-Sweeteners-Inc-Organic-Light-Corn-Syrup-Vanilla-Flavor-11-2-oz-315-g/34613?utm_source=gb&utm_medium=pf

      Delete