Friday, September 26, 2014

The Shining - Redrum Cupcakes featuring "Tony"


Happy Autumn!!! It's that time of year again, officially scary movie watching season!

The Shining is one of the great classic horror movies. A family moves into an isolated hotel in it's off season to be the caretakers. The father is a writer who sees this as a good opportunity to work on his writing, but instead goes mad after being influenced by the spirits of the hotel. The Little boy, Danny, is psychic and can see horrible things that have happened in the past, and things that are to come. The mother basically has to put up with a whole lotta bullshit.

If you haven't seen this movie, "Tony" is a little boy who lives inside of Danny's mouth. Tony is animated through Danny's finger.

Bonus: I saw a cool documentary called Room 237 (currently streaming on Netflix). It's a super analytic journey into the movie, offering up many theories on the meaning of cool hidden stuff in The Shining. Maybe do a double feature!




This is one of my cats, R2D2 in the corner. 



"Redrum! Redrum! Redrum!"


I used The basic vanilla cupcake recipe from Vegan Cupcakes Take Over The World. Added 1/4 cup extra flour and 1/2 cup dark rum.

For the bloody fingers, I used Chloe Coscarelli's "witches fingers" recipe.

For the glaze, 1/4 cup water, 1/2 cup sugar, 1/4 cup rum, 1/4 cup vegan butter, natural red food coloring. (available at health food stores). Stir and bring to a boil, let thicken (few minutes), then drizzle over the cupcakes.

For the crumbles - 1 cup flour, 3/4 cup sugar, 6 TB vegan butter, pinch of salt. Bake crumbles separate from cupcakes at 350 for about 10 minutes.


"It's amazing how fast you get used to such a big place. I tell you, when we first came up here, I thought it was kinda scary."

"Come play with us, Danny. Forever... and ever... and ever... "


7 comments:

  1. that finger is awesome. its freakin creepy! R2D2 is probably like WTF mom?!... ;)

    i need to revisit this film again. can you believe that loukas has never seen this?!? the twins in the hallway caused me to be afraid to take a bath alone as a child, because i thought i would see them standing in the door way in the hall. and then freddy krueger sealed the deal when his hand came up in the bathtub. im surprised i ever bathed again. ;) why on earth did my mom let me watch these things...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, you saw this when you were a kid!? You guys should def watch this sometime this month! One of my favorites.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm a little freaked out by these cupcakes but they are pure genius! Love it! Perfect for Halloween!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those are creepy as hell and totally AWESOME! It actually looks like blood.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, wow, are those ever cool! The Shining is one of my favorites and those cupcakes are just as great!

    ReplyDelete
  6. The cupcakes are awesome! I love the finger....nice and scary. I saw this when I was young and would freak my friends out because I could say redrum just like the little boy.

    ReplyDelete