Monday, October 3, 2011

Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs

7 POISONED CARAMEL APPLES

This movie and recipe pairing were a great way for me to start off October. I have to admit, I was a little overwhelmed thinking about how I'm going to torture myself all month long with ridiculously scary movies. I decided to ease myself in with some munchies that scream October, but a movie that I can happily sing along with, having no fear that someone is out to get me!

Caramel apples are my favorite fall treat and I had some help from 7 little dudes who each had their very own special way of dressing them up.

Here's what you'll need:

7 granny smith apples
vegan butter
brown rice syrup
light brown sugar
crushed peanuts
wildwood vegan creamer
vegan chocolate chips
peanut butter
pretzels
pnut butter filled pretzels
popsicle sticks

To make the caramel, use a large heavy bottom pan (do as I say, not as I do ;) Combine 3/4 cup of vegan butter, 3/4 cup of brown rice syrup, 1 cup light brown sugar.

Bring to a boil. If you have a candy thermometer, let it get to about 240. If not, wait about 3-4 minutes, then remove from heat. Add 1/4-1/2 cup of Wildwood vegan creamer. Make sure you have a big pan, because when it boils, it rises. This picture was taken about 10 seconds before the caramel overflowed and dripped down my stove onto the floor :/ learn from my mistake :)
It should look something like this. (but a lot more of it).
Stick your popsicle stick into the stem part of your apple. Swirl the apple around in the hot caramel, let drip, then place on parchment paper.

Sleepy's Apple
He was too tired to dress it up, so he went with the classic caramel apple.
Grumpy's Apple
Grumpy took some peanut butter filled pretzels (Trader Joe's) and smashed them with his angry fist, then rolled his caramel apple in the broken pieces.
Doc's Apple
Good old fashioned Doc just crushed some salted peanuts and rolled his caramel apple in them
Bashful's Apple
He didn't want to make a fuss, so he just crushed some pretzels and rolled them in the caramel
Dopey's Apple
This guy's no dope, he knows what the best flavor combo in the world is- peanut butter and chocolate! Melt vegan chocolate chips in a skillet, warm the peanut butter in a skillet, then splatter on, Jackson Pollock style.
Sneezy's Apple
He has peanut allergies, so he went real simple while adding something special. Sprinkling a little coarse sea salt gives that awesome sweet and salty combo.
Happy's Apple
Happy loves everything, so he just threw it all on there.
"Hi-Ho, Hi-HO, it's off to work we go... "
"It's a girl... "


25 comments:

  1. This post made me smile. I like the Snow White connection, and really, those caramel apples just look SO good. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Tiffany! Your comment made me smile :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great post! I love how you made apples to go along with all of them. I'll take Sneezy's apple, please! It's been far too long since I've had a caramel apple & they look really, really good.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those apples look amazing! I think I'm too scared to attempt caramel though. I'm sure it would explode all over my kitchen.

    ReplyDelete
  5. WANT!!! I am totally going to make these. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  6. squeeeeeeeel! I LOVE it! =D

    Carmel apples for the win! I can't wait to try this out soon. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks, Molly, Lee, Jessi and Lauren :)
    Molly, I think Sneezy's might be my favorite too. Lee, I definitely made a mess, but it was worth it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love this post! Especially Happy's apple!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love this!! The connection with the 7 dwarfs was too cute!! I can't wait to try the recipe. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is ADORABLE! As a vegan cinefile myself I am in LOVE! :D

    ReplyDelete
  11. I have a huge grin on my face after reading this. Already bookmarked the recipe. Looking forward to reading more. Happy MoFo!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love this post!! All of the apples look great & I love your choice of film!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I can't wait to show this to my son when he gets home from school, and then make them all! Thanks for sharing this with us all!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thanks everyone! Your kind comments mean so much to me! :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a great post, and the apples look as good as the concept!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Bookmarked! These look delectable.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Holy moly those things look SO YUMMY!!! I want one...NOW!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love your blog concept! You have a great writing style and quality photos.

    Basically I'm really happy I found your blog this MoFo =)

    ReplyDelete
  19. This is fantastic! I need to get me some apples.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Oh my gosh, this is an AMAZING post. I'm pinning it pronto and will try to blog it when apples come in a couple of months!

    ReplyDelete