Saturday, September 27, 2014

The Four Seasons




















I spent about half of this year's Vegan Mofo on vacation in Florida with my husband visiting our families. (which is the only reason I think we would ever visit Florida). I am not a hot weather person, in fact I despise it, not only because it is so dreadfully uncomfortable for me to be in temperatures above 72 degrees, but because I'm also uncomfortable if I'm not in multi layers of clothing. It makes me feel protected or something. So of course the weather in Florida was miserable, I don't know how I survived living there for 30 years. If you ever have a hankering to find out what hell must feel like, go to Disney World in the summer, you will have a multi-layered experience, you'll never have to wonder again. In fact, I'm pretty sure that's the real reason they got rid of Mr. Toad's Wild Ride, who needs a simulated experience of going to hell when you are at Disney World.
When we stepped outside of the airport after we arrived back home in Seattle, we were greeted with the most beautiful fall weather. Ahhhhh! We're home and it's the most wonderful, velvety, scrumptious time of the year. I felt bad for the random mofo users who must have seen the same post over and over on my blog while I was on vacation, so I immediately dug up an old classic post from a few years ago to welcome in the fall. Look down below if you missed my "The Shining" post. But this will be my first official welcome to fall post this year. The Four Seasons isn't exactly a fall movie but I still think of it as one. It takes us through all four seasons with the friendships amongst 3 married couples. For my food pairing I wanted it to be a fall dish, but have all four seasons represented. 


Autumn: Butternut Squash
Winter: Farro, Curry
Spring: Arugula
Summer: Corn, Lemon


The flavors are so well balanced and I can really taste each season in there. It's earthy and bright at the same time, it's a great way to transition into fall cuisine.

I used a small butternut squash and roasted it.
I grilled 2 ears of organic corn.
I cooked farro which ended up being about 3 cups, cooked.

I made a lemon vinaigrette by whisking 2 Tablespoons of fresh lemon, 3 Tablespoons of olive oil, 1 tsp. of lemon zest, 1tsp of agave, and a pinch of salt.

I made a lemon-curry aioli by mixing 1 cup of Vegenaise, about 3 tsp. of curry powder, 2 tablespoons of fresh lemon juice, 1 tsp. of paprika, 1 tsp. of lemon zest and sea salt to taste. 

I seasoned the farro, squash and corn with sea salt and pepper, then tossed it with the vinaigrette, leaving about a tablespoon of vinaigrette in the bowl, which I used to toss the arugula. 

I poured the farro, squash, corn mixture into a bowl and sprinkled arugula on top. I then dressed the whole dish with the lemon-curry aioli in a zig-zag fashion. 

3 comments:

  1. This looks wonderful! I will have to try this out with a bag of kamut that is chilling in my cabinet. The lemon-curry aioli is so creative and would probably be excellent as a dipping sauce for some seitan, as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Absolutely it wouldbe great with seitan! Thanks.

      Delete